- 2 cups flour (we use whole wheat, increase to 2-1/2 cups if freshly milled)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt (we use sea salt)
- 4 large eggs
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 10 tablespoons (1-1/4 sticks) butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar (we use Sucanat)
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups of blueberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Line two 12-cup muffin tins with muffin cup liners (or two 24 cup mini muffin tins) - this recipe does not work if tins are unlined...too sticky. Combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
Melt together butter and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat (about 3 minutes). Let cool about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Beat eggs with sour cream then add brown sugar/butter mixture and beat until combined.
Stir in oats.
Fold in flour mixture and then berries.
Sprinkle a pinch of sugar onto the top of each muffin.
Bake for 25 - 28 minutes (15-20 for mini-muffins) or until edges are medium brown and tops are firm. Cool for 5 minutes and remove from pan.